Thursday, November 5, 2009

An Adventure in Writing


Somehow I got sucked into the National Novel Writing Month project, known as NaNoWriMo, by my evil writing friends. I am behind in my daily word count requirement, but I have hopes of catching up this weekend. Basically, the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. As a result, I won't be blogging much, if at all. Except perhaps to complain. My friends, this is insanity. 

I did take time out of my writing to see my doctor for a physical. Around here, getting a physical is code for someone in my house may be getting laid off and we may not have medical benefits in a few months. Layoff scares also drive me to irrationally stock the garage with large, pillow-sized bags of rice and beans. I'm ready for floods, fires, quakes, you name it. Emergency supplies are on hand.

It had been almost three years since I last saw my doctor. She noticed. I explained to her that unless I have a disgusting substance coming out of one (or more) bodily openings, I don't usually make the time to see a doctor. Fortunately, my visit today was not a result of a disgusting bodily substance occurrence. In fact, I'm proud to report, all body openings were checked (quite throughly) and deemed healthy and sound.

So if I'm found dead, slumped over my laptop, you will know it was a result of reckless writing abandonment paired with unrealistic goal setting while under the influence of overachieving bad, bad, bad friends.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I have used NaNoWriMo as inspiration to work on my creative writing for at least one hour, every day of the month, including during my visit to Bob's family for Thanksgiving. Since I work a regular job full-time, I think that will be hard enough. Maybe I'll tackle the whole novel-writing project next year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete