Friday, April 17, 2009

I've been stabbed!

News alert: After suffering a possible career-complicating injury to her right hand, writer Cece Meng is on the mend and can move her fingers and type again. This news was received with mixed emotions from friends, family, and readers of all ages...

As I mention in my blog description, I am prone to unusual injuries and I plan on documenting some of them here. My latest: While doing yard work a few days ago, a very thick, rusty, dirty piece of wire poked into my hand right between my fingers. It sunk in - about 3/4 of an inch deep - straight down between my middle finger and the next biggest one. The wire was about as think as a wire clothes hanger at the dry cleaners. The first thing that popped into my head was that it had been a long time since my last tetanus shot. I had to calculate the exact years in urgent care the next day - it turns out it had been 16 years.

So 24 hours after the poke, I reluctantly drove myself to urgent care because my hand was swelling, red, obviously infected. And I needed that tetanus shot. I guess I also needed two different kinds of antibiotics and a stern lecture on the dangers of puncture wounds - especially in that region of the hand.  I can think of worse spots myself, eyeball comes to mind. Doc also described my wound as a stab. Cool. I've been stabbed! Blah, blah, blah, stab wound, blah, blah... pretty much all I remember from the visit was him saying stabbed a lot. It was very distracting and a little bit funny.

Later that night, my husband informed me of his own analysis of the situation - that it wouldn't be all bad if I lost my hand and got a hook, because then the kids would really listen to me. Not even a little bit funny.  This should give you some idea of the sympathy I get at home.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that sounds like something your hubby would say..."See my wife? Isn't she great? She has a hook for a hand!" Thank goodness you are feeling better, and the hand is healing. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete